Wednesday 7 March 2012

Going back to my roots

Before I got completely obsessed with making my own beads, I was a beadweaver of seed beads, crystals, pearls etc. At a bead fair recently I found some beautiful geode cabs (from Designer Cabochons, see some of their gorgeous range at http://www.designercabochons.co.uk/), and had the urge to fashion them into something bold and beautiful. These geodes have been coated with titanium, to give them that "in your face" bling factor.
At the top of my list of beading icons is Sherry Serafini, and I took inspiration from her work, check out her website at http://www.serafinibeadedjewelry.com/. Bead embroidery tends to be slow, so I thought I would share the work in progress with you. Unbelieveably, it took me a whole afternoon to decide on the shape of the piece, cut it out, choose the placement of the cabochons and pearls, and then glue/sew them into place.
Here is the base of the piece with the cabochons laid out, with a few pearls. It looks a bit like a longhorn skull and horns to me, or maybe an alien with horns.



No comments:

Post a Comment