Sunday 16 May 2010

Well, I have finally taken the plunge and started a blog, which was inspired by my participation at the Beads Day at Broadfield Glass Museum (www.glassmuseum.org.uk). The museum is filled with some fabulous inspiring glass pieces, both functional and decorative, with information about the history of glass as well.



I had my own hand made lampwork beads for sale, along with Pauline Holt (www.jazzylily.com) and Lorna Prime (www.pixiewillowdesigns,com). I think our styles complimented each other perfectly, covering a broad spectrum of styles. Each of us also gave two demonstrations during the day. This was the first time I have demonstrated lampworking in front of people, and my hands were shaking so much that I wasn't sure I could actually make a bead. I took a big breath and went into teaching mode, and tried to keep talking about what I was doing. I hope it was what people wanted?



For my first demonstration I made a latticino cane and a simple murrini, which I then included in the bead. For the second, I showed how to blow a shard. I also pulled some silver stringer, and used both to decorate a bead in which I had included some dichroic glass, and frit. I thought I might have overloaded the bead with too many elements, but it turned out to be really pretty. Unfortunately, thermal shock broke it later, but I managed to retrieve the two biggest pieces, and plan to turn them into little cabochons later.



And I must say a big thank you to my DH who got up at the crack of dawn, helped keep an eye on the stall, gave out information about my work very knowledgeably, and who drove me there and back, so I could rest as I had got myself wound up tight before the big day.


It was a lovely setting, and in spite of my nerves, I had a great day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment